Thursday, September 22, 2005

PLUNGING DEEP IN THE WELL

                               PLUNGING DEEP IN THE “WELL”

Well, I have done my jogging, now it’s time for blogging.  I wonder why it is that I begin my passages with “Well”.  It always seems to be the first thing that pops into my head as a prelude to some kind of explanation or discussion.  It is as if I am signaling my audience that I require a one-syllable pause before I launch myself into the throes of discussion.  But why do I habitually require this pause?  Why the hesitation?  Is it to formulate my thoughts for articulation? Does “Well” indicate doubt or uncertainty?  Or does it mark a need to assess the question at hand from various standpoints in order to respond most appropriately—that is in order to process and integrate the question?  It seems that both are relevant.  If it is merely the pause I require, then why do I feel compelled to verbalize this pause with the specific sound “Well”?  I mean, what in the hell is “Well”?  Why not say some other word that is more specific to function, like “Pause”?  Or even “Ellipse”?  What is the derivation of this word, “Well”, when used in this peculiar manner?  Is it related to the adverbial meaning of “well”, which issues connotations of “doing or feeling in control and in harmony”?  Is it related to the verbal meaning with its connotations of “rising up and springing forth”?  Can it be that when I begin a statement with “Well”, I am unconsciously habitually barking an order to my thoughts:  “Spring forth thoughts, in a harmonious, orderly fashion!”  Well…it is hard to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home